Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What I Wish I Would've Known Before Saying "I Do"





It's clear by this country's divorce rate that people are entering unions with a host of misconceptions. Love is not magic, it takes work and lots of it. Lately I've been pondering marriage and what a man/woman should know before making an attempt at the ultimate merger. So this week I asked married and once married folk the question,
"What's one thing you wish you would've known before getting married???"


I hope these answers provide some insight as to what to consider before saying "I Do"



Knowing and doing are two different things... I WISH I would have seen healthier relationships around me coming up. I wish I would have known what they look like -Paulette


That everyday is work; no days off   -Jason


If you had asked me that question 10 years ago I would have said don't get married unless you find a compatible person    -Deb


I wish I had a way of communicating and resolving conflict more effectively   -J.D.


How stubborn my man would be about losing weight. I wish I would have known he was not open to any conversation about getting in shape. I do. He is always dressed nice, haircut and all but refuses to accept any advice getting in shape   -Angel


One thing I wish I would have known before I got married is that no matter how much advice you get on what it takes to be married, or how much you think you know, you just have to learn for yourself and find your own way as a couple. What worked for other couples may not work for you, and that's okay  -Graham


The biggest thing I wish I would have known was the importance of finances. When you get married it is not just your debt its y'all debt. It is not just your income it's y'all income. I think that had I known the importance of finances and how important creating a financial future for not just yourself but your family was I would have began sooner. Many marriages fail due to finances and I am glad my husband and I gained that knowledge together but I wish we would have understood that concept prior to marriage. Many times our parents tell us to go to college to get a great job but they don't tell you how to manage those finances and having to learn that with another individual is a growing process that not all can handle. I am thankful that I found someone who was able to share that new experience with me   -Geneva




Ladies Your Man is Closer Than You Think!!!



Please check out the Wholeness 4 Love blog which follows a woman's journey to wholeness one step at a time...

To continue the discussion join the Not-so-Patiently Waiting...
& Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DayDream217

1 comment:

wholeness4all said...

I wish we had some type of forum where engaged couples could go to hear people share what they wish they knew before getting married. Most often we hear these reflections too late.Thanks for linking to my blog!