Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Is Opening the Car Door Mandatory??????

I was putting the finishing touches on my hair when he contacted me to say he was downstairs.  This was going to be my first date with this particular young man, and though I was not attracted to him, I was still excited about the possibility of getting to know him better.  As I approached the car, he did something that pegged him as a frog i.e. not my prince.  He did not exit the car to greet me or help me in the vehicle. Ugh, who does that???  I was disgusted to say the least but was happy to get an immediate sense of where this was going.  Um, how about nowhere!  But, I have also learned that men need to be given the benefit of the doubt.  Cause lets face it ladies, all of them are not as sharp as we are :-).  So, I decided to see what he would do when we walked back to the car.  And once again he missed the mark. 

I agree with the sentiment that honesty is the best policy.  Therefore, I said to him "if you want to be my homeboy (friend), keep doing exactly what you're doing, but if you want to date me, than opening the car door for me is mandatory".  He went on to make excuses as to why he failed to be the gentleman he normally is.  Ha!

On the other hand, I recently went on a date with one of the most chivalrous men I've ever met.  When I arrived downstairs he was already waiting for me outside the car and not only opened the door for me but helped me get in.  When exiting he did the same thing.  When walking beside me he put his hand on the small of my back.  When I was chilly, he attempted to warm me.  If there was any step or ramp in my way he would take my hand and assist me with the climb.  NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!  A man like this makes me want to be the vulnerable, feminine woman, God created me to be.  While the dude mentioned above makes me feel like I must continue protecting myself.

My gentleman friend has set a new standard.  All I want to do is spend time with men who treat me with the respect and adoration I deserve.  And I intend to do just that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Once men get the idea that it is not coming so easily perhaps then they will step up their game and stop treating women like hoes!